Thursday, April 06, 2006

Go Tiger go!

Did I mention I like golf, just a little bit. So of course I'm backing Tiger Woods in his attempt to win a fifth Masters title - one less than the record of Jack Nicklaus. I'm also feeling for him because his father is unwell and he has made it very clear that should his father take a turn for the worse, he will pull out. I read this in an article yesterday, over the shoulder of my Dad, as we waited for him to receive treatment for the same cancer Mr Woods snr has. Tears came to my eyes as I read the article, because I could empathise with the words. Like Tiger Woods, family is supremely important to me (you may not think it in the days to come when I rave on about the crazy goings on in my family). I am the baby of the family, and in my other siblings eyes, close to being a spoilt brat (moi??). I am told I was aptly named, among its many meanings and characteristics , Johannes' have a keen sense of family and will fight hard and to the death for their family. That's me. I don't live far from my parents which means they are graced with my presence far more than they would probably like, and I can drop in when tthey least expect me! Love you lots Dad.

And for the knitting......

Liam
Liam is ticking on nicely, I've finished the celtic knto and have the shaping on the neck to finish. Then the really fun work begins, sewing in the ends. This is where I fall down in my knitting finesse. I love knitting the pieces, but like many others, hate sewing in ends and seams etc. I start off with iron resolve not to cut corners, to take my time and do a really neat job. However, half way through, I just want to finish the blooming thing and do all the things you are not supposed to do.
Don't you just love all those ends

Mary
Hmm, where do I start with Mary. Well, I bought some sale yarn about 5 or 6 years ago, some black Rowan denim. I ear marked Mary from the Rowan denim book (the first denim book). I had the required 17 balls, and last year started to knit the back. Tension square I hear you ask? Never do them. Unless the yarn is one I am not familiar with. If I am calm and collected, my tension is normally spot on - I keep telling myself that!! When I had completed the first pattern set, I measured for accuracy. Nothing matched up to what the instructions stated. I frogged and did it again, and again, and then I rang my friend Karin. I will tell you the story of how we met when she was wearing Mary and I accosted her outside the school gates. Karin had previously warned me that Mary may be snug for my ample proportions. I could not see how since the dimensions indicated a 46inch bust when finished. I can just about fit into that..... Anyway, I posted on to the Rowan discussion board and was surprised to learn that a few others had encountered the same "problem". Only the problem was not our error but Rowans. The actual finished bust measurement was 38 inches. So I duly contact Rowan and request the pattern to the measurement of 46 inches and some extra yarn. I was sent a hand written photo copy of Mary and have had untold problems with it. The armhole was not resized, the front amendments are the wrong way round the photo copy they gave me missed bits off the actual pattern. Wonderful. I started Mary again, put her down sometime last year and picked her up yesterday, since, it was pointed out to me, this is the weather to wear her. I'm half way up the left front and ready to put her back down!! I love Rowan to pieces and their patterns are normally to a high standard. I think, perhaps that this was an older pattern and although they were aware of the problem, didn't consider posting the errata on their website....Yet. More on Mary when I get enough light to take a half decent photo. You may have noticed, photography is not my strongest point!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Want me to try to crunch some numbers through my software for you?

Anonymous said...

Hi welcome to blogland.

I LOVE that jumper is it for Shea?

Sue
xxx

Unknown said...

Your blog is looking great, I think you are very hot on the technical side and I'm so excited to see my site on your side bar, you've made my day. As soon as I can figure out how to do that I'll be sure to return the compliment.

I love the Liam sweater, I have had a fancy to do this for a while now but I keep wanting to selfishly knit things for myself instead. Out of nosiness, what size are you making and how is measuring up? I sometimes find Debbie Bliss's childrens patterns on the wide side which is why I ask. On the other hand this isn't helped by the fact that when knitting for the children I follow the same principle my dear old Nana did which is to make sure there is plenty of darned growing room, tee hee.

Rebecca

Kathy said...

Look at that gorgeous knotwork! Very nice. Thanks for the comment on my blog. In answer to your question, caustic soda should be the same as lye or sodium hydroxide (which is the chemical name). Good luck with your soap making!